Saturday, August 26, 2023

Life and Art. Art and Life.

One morning this week, as I walked along a shadowy but sun-dappled path through a grove of trees, I came upon a single golden pine needle hovering vertically in mid-air, at eye-level, above the path. The needle was suspended on a single gossamer thread.  Unmoving, it captured the angled morning sunlight of late August.

I walked on.  A few minutes later, I remembered this (which has appeared here in the past):

    On Something Observed

Torn remains of a cobweb,
     one strand dangling down --
a stray petal fluttering by
     has been tangled, caught in its skein,
all day to dance and turn,
     never once resting --
elsewhere in my garden,
     no breeze stirs.

Kokan Shiren (1278-1346) (translated by Burton Watson), in Burton Watson, Japanese Literature in Chinese, Volume II: Poetry and Prose in Chinese by Japanese Writers of the Later Period (Columbia University Press 1976), page 27.  Kokan Shiren was a Zen Buddhist monk.

So goes our brief stay in Paradise.

Josephine Haswell Miller (1890-1975), "Studio Window" (1934)

4 comments:

GretchenJoanna said...

Ah, yes…. and the things that “happen” here on your blog are typically that sublime.

Thank you.

hart said...

Lovely image that one golden needle.

Stephen Pentz said...

GretchenJoanna: That's very nice of you to say. Thank you so much. Of course, as I have said in the past, I am merely the messenger bearing the poems and paintings that appear here. Where would I be without, for instance, Kokan Shiren, Burton Watson, and Josephine Haswell Miller? And, most importantly, where would I be without the beautiful particulars of the World?

Again, thank you very much for your kind words. It's always a pleasure to hear from you.

Stephen Pentz said...

hart: Yes, I was quite surprised by coming across it -- suddenly, out of the blue. As I said in my reply to GretchenJoanna's comment: where would I be without the beautiful particulars of the World? I am usually sleepwalking through the World, but the World always has a way of making itself known, whether I am dozing or not!

Thank you very much for your thought. And, as ever, thank you very much for visiting.